The Value of SCWA Membership
The South Carolina Writers Association is a literary arts non-profit organization offering a supportive environment for people to become better writers no matter where they are in their writing endeavors.
How does SCWA achieve that mission? What do members get for the annual membership fee?
The SCWA board recognizes that members look for support in many ways from the beginning to the end of the writing process and in all aspects of getting published. To that end, SCWA offers a variety of instruction, tools, support groups, events and communications designed to meet member needs.
- Critique Groups. Writers need readers. At the core of writer learning is access to other writers and the ability to submit work for critique and feedback in a supportive and constructive environment. Membership provides access to fourteen chapters across the state.
- Annual Conference/Retreat. SCWA offers an annual conference or retreat which brings together accomplished writers and faculty to help improve writing skills, giving members the opportunity to network with other writers and learn about the publishing world. At these events, writers can have their writing critiqued by professionals in the industry. These events are competitively priced with discounted registration fees for members, delivering maximum value for cost.
- Regional workshops. SCWA members have access to workshops on a variety of topics including craft, writing queries or a synopsis and how to self-publish and promote one’s work. We are open to suggestions on workshops. Members who attend the conference or regional workshops often recoup their annual membership fee by utilizing the discounted registration fees for these events.
- Publications. SCWA offers a range of publishing opportunities. The Petigru Review is a digital literary journal, which includes fiction, nonfiction and poetry. It also accepts website content like reviews and craft essays. Submit your work or just enjoy a good online read! SCWA’s annual print anthology, Catfish Stew, is another option. Both of these publications give members a chance to publish their work through a competitive submissions process. Didn’t get in this year? Try again next year!
- The Quill Newsletter SCWA provides a quarterly newsletter for members. It includes updates from local chapters, promotes the published works of members, identifies submission opportunities and offers insights into writing. Combined with the blog and other social media such as Twitter and Facebook, SCWA strives to keep members in the know and in touch. The SCWA website is the home to keep members connected and informed. http://www.myscwa.org
Among the many benefits of membership, perhaps the most rewarding is the camaraderie, the experience of being part of the South Carolina writing community. It is a group that values creativity and appreciates the diversity of the membership as well as the wide range of writing produced. It’s an opportunity to share experiences and learn from peers and professionals to help members achieve their writing goals.
SCWA Board of Directors